Saturday, December 10, 2011

Diggin' in the Dirt

Today was the first Habitat build day for the Episcopal Tornado Recovery Cooperative. It was a clear day with plenty of sunshine, which was important since it was also very chilly. We began the day with getting our objectives: (1) dig and square out trenches and (2) put in steel for footings. As I listened to Brandon, our fearless Habitat Leader, explain the work we were about to do I was certainly skeptical that we would even get the trenches done. And I wasn't the only one that was a little doubtful. But in spite of our uncertainty, we bravely hopped in the trenches and started the work. We worked hard. At one point I put down my shovel, and climbed out to take a break. I was certain that it must be 10 a.m., but I was very surprised to look at my watch and see that only an hour had gone by.

I jumped back in the trench. There were the sounds of shovels and a pick ax. Some taking, but mainly just digging. A back hoe was brought in to help in the digging. By the time that Elizabeth from Canterbury showed up with lunch at 11:30 we had gone from digging to laying the first layer of steel for the footings. I was amazed to see the progress that was made. In a matter of minutes work had shifted from quiet digging, to voices calling out for rebar with 2 foot or 4 foot or 8 foot bends. A team was tasked with hearing the requests, measuring the steel, and with a little brute force, bending the steel.

Elizabeth brought sandwiches and brownies. And this was probably the best sandwiches I have had in a while. Once our stomachs were full, back in we went. Another layer of steel. Hammering in grading stakes. And constructing the special footings for the "Safe Room." Habitat has committed to putting a safe room in each house they build. The family that we are building this house for are tornado survivors. Their home, which was about a block away from the Habitat site, was completely destroyed on April 27. Mom and 2 of the kids were picked up and carried to Alberta Elementary School. One child was found in the debris at the home. It was 24 hours before all the kids were accounted for and the family was reunited.

The family was on site doing their sweat equity work. The helped with laying the steel, and also began building a storage shed for their new home. It was a wonderful day.

I used to joke that Episcopalians don't build houses, they write checks. We certainly were able to write the check for this home, and today we proved that we could also build a house.

We will be back next week, and with any luck we will be raising walls.

I'm tired. I'm sore. Muscles hurt that I didn't know that I had. But it was a great day.

Work Site at Start of Day
Work Site at Close of Day
This will become the Safe Room

Our Work
Our Work

No comments:

Post a Comment